Mark, Wes, and guest Franky in Lafayette, CA at the Swad Indian restaurant.
Sites of Interest:
- Radio Shack's PZM microphone, which may or may not actually be PZM.
- Franky's Facebook page. Franky Goes to Hollywood, the movie. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, the music group.
- Franky's cell phone is a Samsung Instinct.
- Myst Online goes open source.
- The new .tel TLD and how it is very different from other domain suffixes.
- History of the dBASE database management system.
- Read historic Radio Shack catalogs online.
- History of the CompuServe system.
- There are now over 10,000 iPhone applications in Apple's app store.
- A software hack to SIM unlock 3G iPhones -- meaning allowing them to be used on any GSM carrier instead of being locked to AT&T, for example -- will be released on 1/1/2009. If you already upgraded to firmare 2.2 using iTunes, then you won't be able to unlock using this method. If you have not upgraded yet, follow these instructions on how to upgrade only the firmware and not touch the GSM modem chip.
- Joost - play videos from joost.com.
- Woman Calendar - Men and women have very different reasons for using this; it's pretty expensive, but Wes thinks it's worth it.
Mark's iPhone Applications of the week:
- Copy/Paste - This is a little complicated to set up, but pretty easy to use and really does give you limited Copy and Paste functions for the iPhone.
- FindInPage - The podcast was edited so that a mention of this is inadvertently mixed in with the Copy/Paste discussion. FindInPage is a jailbreak app which is installed with Cydia, and edits your bookmark file to add a "Find in Page bookmark". WARNING: the current version of this app sometimes destroys your bookmarks instead of adding the new one, so wait for a revised version to show up.
- Pull My Finger - Stupid audio app which has a bunch of fingers to pull. Guess what happens.