Mark and Wes at the Peet's Coffee & Tea in Orinda, CA .
Sites of Interest:
- On Earth, most methane in the atmosphere is produced by the ongoing, unstoppable farting of living things.
- Wes' stupid Blackberry phone can't even run the basic iPhone apps such as ManWax, Raoul the Dancing Pancake, My Little Cockroach, Gobbler, and Zombie Weatherman.
- Mark is reading the book: Zombie Survival Guide, and loved the movie Fido.
- Original District 9 short film.
- Radio Shack asks for our help changing their signs to "The Shack".
- Twitter is not popular with kids.
- Blaise Pascal invented the Pascaline, among other achievements. Here is a Pascaline simulator that works for only a few seconds, and then you are supposed to buy it. Cheap plastic adding machines that looked and worked like the Pascaline were popular before electronic calculators became cheap. Slide adding machines were also cheap and popular and worked on a similar principle.
- Consumer 3D cameras are coming back in digital form. Fuji has a FinePix REAL 3D handheld model and Novo has the Minoru 3D webcam. The Stereo Realist camera was pretty popular in the film era.
- YouTube is experimenting with letting people post 3D videos that can be viewed in various formats. Tutorial on how to prepare your 3D videos for uploading. Watch this sample 3D video and note the dropdown box under it called 3D View Style.
- The Khronos Group is working on a 3D standard for the web.
- How 3D postcards and posters work.
- iPhones and other U.S. GSM cellphones are open to an SMS hack.
- T-Mobile releases the myTouch, a thin Android phone with on-screen keypad. They got publicity for this with a parachute display over San Francisco.
- Lenovo will release an Android phone in China shortly.
- FAQ about USB 3.0.
- Mathematician Cracks Mystery Beatles Chord.
- Share, the IBM mainframe user group, turns 50.
- Philippe Kahn, the real founder of Borland, and the fake Frank Borland.
- A 16-year-old boy died in at a boot camp for Internet addicts after being beaten by supervisors.
- Feedrinse will take in any RSS feed, filter it to your specifications, and give you a new RSS feed consisting only of the filtered items.
Wes' iPhone Application of the week:
- preFlight Airport Delay Status - easy to use display of real time airport delays, closures, and current weather conditions for all major U.S. airports.
Mark's iPhone Applications of the week: