Mark and Wes at the LeCheval Vietnamese Restaurant in Walnut Creek, CA .
Sites of Interest:
- Mark used his iPhone to test the restaurant for ghosts using GhostRecorder.
- Creative Labs introduces Zii Plaszma, the StemCell Computing Platform.
- Early BART ticket counterfeiting. Cap'n Crunch caught doing this.
- Hackers counterfeiting San Francisco parking meter cards.
- O.R.B. Bluetooth Ear Ring: wear it as a ring on your finger, open it into a Bluetooth headset.
- How the old Napster worked. Shawn Fanning's latest venture.
- Steve Jobs spotted at the Apple campus and backstage at a Coldplay concert.
- Various rumors of new iPod Touch and Apple Tablet devices.
- Build an appliance or your own custom Linux distro with Suse Studio.
- Sprint buys Virgin Mobile.
- Microsoft, Yahoo! agree on Internet search partnership.
- Jerry Springer plays Billy Flynn in the musical "Chicago" in London and maybe Broadway.
- David Pogue's "Take Back the Beep" campaign, and his book "The World According to Twitter".
- Apple releases a software update for the iPhone SMS security problem.
- Skype As We Know It May Not Exist Much Longer, eBay Says. Mark always thought eBay purchasing Skype was a stupid idea and this story is only part of the problem. Meg Whitman was the CEO of eBay when they bought Skype, so Mark wonders whether she should be campaigning for California governor.
- Wes likes the IPEVO Wi-Fi phone for Skype.
Wes' iPhone Applications of the week:
- Lunar Module 3d - unique lunar-lander style game that mixes classic arcade action with realistic environments.
- Currency Calculator - multifunctional calculator which allows you to work with multiple currencies. All currency ratios are provided by a professional currency exchange rate provider.
- AP Mobile - Select news from local newspapers and broadcasters and combine it with the best of the AP's videos, photo galleries, and national and international coverage. Has rare push notifications for important stories.
- Tweetie + Boxcar - Wes likes this combination so he can use his favorite Twitter app, yet still get push notifications.
Mark's iPhone Applications of the week:
- Star Walk and Pocket Universe - On an iPhone 3GS, these use the GPS, compass, and accelerometers to let you aim your iPhone in any direction and height, and they will show you what is in the sky at that point plus a lot more info.
- B&N eReader - eBook reader from Barnes and Noble. Buy digital books and download them to the reader.
- TripIt - forward your travel confirmation emails and TripIt creates a master itinerary for your trip, with detailed information about flights, hotels, rental cars and much more.
- Sudoku Grab - capture a Sudoku puzzle from a newspaper or book using the iPhone's camera. Solve it on the iPhone, or let the app solve it for you.