Mark and Wes at the Ohgane Korean BBQ in Oakland, CA .
Sites of Interest:
- Amazon CEO apologizes for removing George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm digital books from Kindle machines that had already purchased them.
- History of Amazon Acquisitions and Investments, including Zappos.com for $920 million.
- An old article about the history of Novell Netware, showing its importance at the time.
- iPhone factory worker committed suicide (or was pushed?) after being interrogated (tortured?) about a missing prototype.
- Plastic Logic will ship an ebook reader using AT&T cellular data service.
- New version of Palm Pre webOS lets it sync with iTunes again, and the legal fight begins.
- A Blackberry firmware update offered by UAE mobile carrier Etisalat was designed to spy on users.
- Mark thinks this and this are a lot worse than a country spying on Blackberries.
- CEO of AT&T said iPhone will not always be exclusive with them.
- Google maps had the moon for some time, and now the Google Earth program can be used to view the moon.
- Top 20 signs you are a twitter addict.
- Disney Japan will offer micro-SD versions of movies along with the DVDs.
- Best T-Shirt of the month: Amish Gone Wild.
- Microsoft announces Windows 7 RTM gold master disc.
- A history and evaluation of IBM's System R and SQL
- Wes likes the O'Reilly "Head First"series of technical books.
- Wes' stupid Blackberry can't even run the FartBot iPhone app.
- iPhone Fart App Legal War on the Daily Show.
- Accidents related to factory robots.
- Robot Cannon Goes Berserk, Kills 9.
- IBM PS/2 personal computers with MicroChannel Architecture.
- Rumors that the next iPod Touch will be just like the iPhone, but without the phone.
Wes' iPhone/Blackberry Applications of the week:
- Later Dude Pro - Blackberry app to create call back reminders.
- Cube - single player and multiplayer first person shooter that provides satisfying and fast oldskool gameplay; kind of like Quake.
Mark's iPhone Applications of the week:
- SimplyTweet - Mark's favorite Twitter app this week (he always changes his mind). Includes push notification for your Reply and Direct tweets.
- BoxCar - Provides push notifications for Reply and Direct tweets, but that's all it does. Useful if your favorite twitter app doesn't already have this function.
- iGPUtrace - For iPhone 3GS only because it uses the new GPU and the compass. Just a demo of what the GPU can do, but fun to play with because it demos a virtual reality by moving the iPhone around in front of you.
- RedLaser - realtime barcode scanner, supports all standard UPC and EAN barcodes and looks up the products in a database. (Mark said it was a jailbreak app and it is, but he found out that it has also been in the App Store for a while so anyone can buy it.)