Mark and Wes at the Korean Bulgogi House in Concord, CA .
Sites of Interest:
- Mark mentioned hostgator.com for hosting WordPress blogs and many other types of web pages and services.
- Wes' stupid Blackberry can't even run basic iPhone apps like these: Fartoscopes, Big Mouth, and TubaFollow.
- Zoho has free and low-cost productivity, collaboration, and business apps. They just added a way to export your Access databases to the web.
- Rear Admiral Dr. Grace Murray Hopper was the first woman to receive a Ph.D. in Mathematics and is also credited with having written the first high-level language compiler, and for leading the effort to develop the COBOL programming language.
- History of Borland International, and Will The Real Frank Borland Please Stand Up?
- Fancy fast food: yeah, it's still bad for you, but look see how good it can look!
- Universal/TuneCore deal opens major doors for indie artists.
- Peter Pancreas Pimple still uses WebTV.
- VLC media player 1.0 officially released after more than 10 years of work.
- The Story of the Fail Whale, and the Fail Whale in Pop Culture.
- Why are SMS messages limited to 160 characters?
- History and myths about why railroad tracks are the gauge they are.
- Cheap Trick brings back the 8-track.
- Radio Station Broadcast Cartridges are similar to 8-track tapes.
- YouTube videos of the Star Spangled banner played on a Louisville Slugger baseball bat and on a ukulele. Explanation of the electronic bat.
- Pandora lives! SoundExchange cuts deal on webcasting rates.
- Google Chrome OS vs. Android on notebooks.
Wes' iPhone Application of the week:
- ModBox Module Player - universal Tracker Format Player that plays Amiga and PC module computer music, e.g. Protracker, Fasttracker, Screamtracker.
- The Sexy Ladies of SHOW -brings you the incredibly beautiful women from the pages of SHOW magazine.
- Babe on a Beam - balance the little cutey on the beam and unlock new powers. But go easy with those controls... it's a long way down!
- Linux Cheat Sheet - a quick reference guide for all the Linux command lines necessarily to manage a Linux server.
Mark's iPhone Applications of the week:
- iTwitter - Full-featured Twitter app including filtered groups; can do everything in landscape.
- TweetDeck - Also full-featured Twitter app with filtering; won't do landscape; synchronizes filters with TweetDeck for desktop machines.
- Epocrates - Information on 3,300+ drugs, including dosing, adverse reactions, pricing and pictures, interactions, pill identification.
- Run Pee Mobile - tells you which points in a movie you can safely "run" and "pee" without missing a hugely important plot point.